I love pancake day. Why? Well the clue’s in the name. And it’s not because I love “Days”. Pancakes are up there somewhere with Gaffer Tape, the Rubix Cube, and the Die Hard movies as one of the greatest creations of all time.
But pancakes have a sinister side. And I’m not talking about being wraps for puppies. Just look across the pond. In America, pancakes are a breakfast staple, and 64% of those guys are overweight or obese.
Of course, stacking them higher than a giraffe’s arse and using them to melt a stick of butter probably has a lot to answer for. As well as using them as a side dish for bacon, eggs, fried bread, hash browns…
But pancakes, if done right CAN be a staple food that’ll get and keep you leaner than a whippet.
And they can be knocked up from scratch in under 10 minutes.
AND they can be overcooked, stored, and reheated.
AAAAAAAAAAND with the amount of tasty toppings/fillings you can use, they’re more versatile than MacGyver with a paperclip, a half chewed bit of string, and a broken lollipop stick.
Seriously. Gaffer tape bows in the prescence of pancakes done right.
One person who knows how to do pancakes right is one of my bootcampers, and owner of Abs that make grown men weep, Adeline.
In fact she did so well dropping those last 10 pounds that stood between looking great and looking drop-dead-awesome, she featured on the cover of December’s issue of Power Living Magazine. Now she features every issue showing you how to make the recipes that keep her looking that way.
Below is the video from the current issue talking you through how to make our high protein, wheat free, insanely tasty pancakes that are a massive hit at Bootcamp.
No puppies were harmed in the making of this video.
- Nutrition Info Per Serving:
- Calories: 230
- Protein: 26g
- Carbs: 27g
- Fat: 2g
- 50g oats
- 6 egg whites
- 200g soft cheese
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Sprinkling granulated sweetener
- 1 cal spray oil
- 2 tbsp apple slices or other fruit
- Put all the ingredients except your fruit into the blender and blitz until liquidised.
- Spray the frying pan with your 1 cal spray and put on a medium heat until the oil bubbles.
- Ladle some batter into the frying pan and cook on one side for around 3 minutes, until bubbly on top and dry around the edges.
- Turn the pancake over and cook on the other side for about 2 minutes until the pancake is golden brown.
- Serve with apple slices or equivalent amount of berries or other fruit.
Comment below, what’s your favourite pancake topping?
By the way, the amazing after photo above was featured in Power Living Magazine and was taken by Laura Brennan of Cherry Red Photography, with styling by Gay Richardson of Style Me Confident, make-up by Sonia Martin of La Belle the Beauty Boutique, and Sarah Bainborough of Part One Hair Salon. Dream team in action.